Copy­right is an impor­tant issue.

As The Sal­va­tion Army is part of the Chris­t­ian church, we need to ensure that we are uphold­ing our integrity when it comes to copy­right. Our job at the Cre­ative Min­istries Depart­ment is to encour­age and ensure that this is hap­pen­ing.

Copy­right pro­tects the owner’s rights over their intel­lec­tual prop­erty. Using this mate­r­ial with­out per­mis­sion is ille­gal, and can result in fines (up to $150,000) or impris­on­ment (up to 5 years). Licens­ing pro­vides the cre­ator of the con­tent with income, and allows us to use the mate­r­ial legally.

Here is an overview of the licenses avail­able through the Cre­ative Min­istries Depart­ment and what they mean.

Note: Larger than nor­mal events, such as Easter Camps and Con­fer­ences may require seper­ate licens­ing not listed here. Please con­tact CMD if you are unsure about your license needs.
To dupli­cate music and lyrics for wor­ship ser­vices requires licens­ing. The fol­low­ing two licenses cover you for a vast major­ity of Chris­t­ian wor­ship music.

Note: Both of these licenses are com­pul­sory for Corps and Cen­tres that oper­ate a wor­ship ser­vice util­is­ing copy­righted musi­cal and lyri­cal content.

CCL — Church Copy­right License

This license allows you to repro­duce the words of songs for use in
con­gre­ga­tional singing at your Corps. This includes using over­head pro­jec­tions and lyrics within your pre­sen­ta­tion soft­ware (like Pro Presenter)

MRL — Music Repro­duc­tion License

This license allows you to copy phys­i­cal mate­ri­als includ­ing chord charts and mate­r­ial from pub­lished musi­cal works for the pur­pose of rehearsal at your Corps.

With these licenses…

You Can:

- Print songs, hymns and lyrics in bul­letins, pro­grammes and song sheets
- Cre­ate over­head trans­paren­cies, slides or use any other for­mat that allows song lyrics to be visu­ally projected
- Arrange, print and copy your own arrange­ments. This includes vocal and instru­men­tal arrange­ments of songs used in con­gre­ga­tional
wor­ship (where no pub­lished ver­sion is available)
- Pho­to­copy and dupli­cate pub­lished musi­cal works and other musi­cal mate­r­ial for your singers and musicians.

You Can’t:

- Rent or sell copies made under the license for any form of direct or indi­rect renu­mer­a­tion (pay­ment). This extends to pay­ment by gift, dona­tion or free will offering
- Play or show in full (or in part) any copy­righted films, DVD’s or any other copy­righted video material
- Dis­trib­ute copies to groups out­side of your Corps
- Trans­late songs into another language.
Com­mer­cial movies (of all for­mats includ­ing DVD and Blu Ray) are only licensed for pri­vate view­ing in a pri­vate premi­sis. To show any copy­righted video mate­r­ial in a Corps or Cen­tre, the appro­pri­ate license is required.

The fol­low­ing licenses pro­vide cover for a vast major­ity of copy­righted film material:

CVL — Church Video License

This license allows you to show part of, or all of a film from a list of
par­tic­i­pat­ing pro­duc­ers. Major pro­duc­ers include Dream­works and Uni­ver­sal.

License web­site.

The Big Stu­dio Movie License

This license allows you to show part of, or all of a film from these par­tic­i­pat­ing movie stu­dios: Dis­ney, Road­show Films, Warner Bros., Sony, Icon, Hoyts Dis­tri­b­u­tion and Hop­scotch.

License web­site.

With these licenses…

You Can:

- Show parts of movies as ser­mon illustrations
- Show full movies at events
- Use movies for edu­ca­tional purposes.

You Can’t:

- Use movies copied from another source or recorded from tele­vi­sion or any other medium
- Charge any sort of admis­sion fee (whether by dona­tion or free will offer­ing) for video showings.
- Adver­tise the film you are show­ing out­side your facil­ity (e.g. post the movie title on facebook)
Broad­cast­ing (pre-​recorded) music over a sound sys­tem or pub­lic address sys­tem, whether via the radio, CD, cas­sette tape or iPod in a retail envi­ron­ment requires the appro­pri­ate license (unless express per­mis­sion is given by the copy­right owner).

One­Mu­sic — Retail

This license allows you to broad­cast music in a retail out­let or environment.

With these licenses…

You can play music:

- As back­ground music for cus­tomers and staff.

- From iPods, CD Play­ers, radio or any other device

- On-​hold on your tele­phone system

You Can’t:

- Copy music or burn your on CD’s